Friday, October 30, 2009

The Power of Hello

This past week I was at Conner Prairie. Every fall they have a fun event called the Headless Horseman. Its not just fun, its amazingly well orchestrated. The evening that I was there was PACKED ... and it was a weeknight! When I arrived with friends we were handed tickets for the 11pm hayride ... and its was only 630p!!! But, by giving us the tickets we had the opportunity to enjoy the evening festivities, then jump in line about 20 minutes before it was time for our hayride!

The evening was wonderful, but there was something that stood out to me more than the festivities. It was the people who were serving at the event. Normally, I'm the one saying hello and goodbye to families as they come into and out of our ministry area. But, this time it was me who was on the receiving end of it. As I was leaving I realized the importance and the power of the words. I felt that they truly cared about the people who were there and that they appreciated that we had come.

So, who are you saying something to? What are you saying? Making just that short connection can say a lot about the ministry ... are you reaching out to families each weekend? It certainly leaves an impact and my evening at Conner Prairie was a great reminder that my words do not fall on deaf ears!

0 comments: