Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Beach



The beach, to me it is one of the last places on earth where you can truly sit and soak in God's creation, without the interruption of man-made things.  Looking straight out from the sand there is nothing but God, no skyscrapers, roads, or anything else to affect the view.  There are few places like this left in the world - the mountains are another place, but there is something about the majesty of the ocean that is overwhelming.

In July of 2002 I remember sitting in complete darkness on a beach in South Africa listening to the waves roll in.  It was a  night that I will never forget.  It was the night that the God I worship here in America became real to me.  He became the same God that was there with me half a world away.  I was listening to waves crash on the other side of the world, just like on my side of the world.  And the stars, well those were incredible and only added to the moment ... but this post is truly about the beach :-)

Tonight I came to Job 38:8-11

"Who kept the sea inside its boundaries as it burst from the womb, and as I clothed it with clouds and wrapped it in thick darkness?  For I locked it behind barred gates, limiting its shores.  I said, 'This far and no father will you come.  Here your proud waves must stop!

The sea is an incredibly majestic place.  Each time I walk along the sand and listen to the waves I am reminded of God's intricate details - the grains of sand and the shoreline - how He decided just how far the ocean would come and where the shore would begin.'

0 comments: