Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday

I think its only been in the past couple years that I've truly begun to grasp the meaning of Good Friday.  Growing up we didn't go to church, we celebrated Easter and talked about Jesus a little and family and easter baskets a whole bunch.  To me, Easter meant my dad came to get us for a few hours ... it was just another holiday.

But in the past couple years I've come to realize that there is no Easter without Good Friday.  Today is the reason that we can celebrate on Sunday, because without today there is no Sunday.

Tonight I attended a Good Friday service at a local church, it is something that I have chosen to make a priority in my life during this time of year.  Working in the local church, Easter Sunday is a busy time.  It is a time when we celebrate publicly - making sure rooms are staffed, children are safe, and those attending the services have the best experience possible.  But on Good Friday, it is a time when I can personally reflect on the events of this season and the sacrifice that Jesus made for each of us.

0 comments: