Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Most Un-Free, FREE* Word

Prayer. That single word can make the entire room go quiet at the end of my life group ... well admit it - it probably happens in your life group too.  There's something unknown about prayer - will I have to pray? outloud? does God hear me? what if I don't use the right words? will others look down on me?

Now, add Experience to that simple word and well, those thoughts and feelings can be amplified.

BUT, who said prayer has to be scary, that you have to have it all together, that God cares about the words you use ... because in reality, it's not, you don't have to, and He just wants to hear from you!

I entered the Prayer Experience last Wednesday, not quite sure that God had much to say to me.  I have been getting a lot out of FREE*, BUT I entered the time more as a "let's check this off the list" than a "let's meet with God".  It had been a long day, on top of a long week and I just needed to "get it done".

God had other plans though.

As I entered the first area I found myself in another world, relaxing, forgetting about all the things I had to do.  I sat there for awhile, with no real purpose - just taking in the sights, the people, and the music playing on the small mp3 player.  God gave me a word, a picture of freedom - yet - I didn't know how that word had anything to do with freedom ... boundaries???  Seriously... that's the most "un-free" word I could think of.  But, I went with it and I began to move along the path to the upstairs hall.

I moved through several elements and then I came to a room decorated for the holidays with packages all around.  The words played in my ears - saying "these packages are filled with gifts God has for you ... will you receive them?"

I paused for a moment and then approached the packages - there were many to choose from, all with a different "gift" inside.  I took the first one off the shelf and the word inside was REST - what an incredible moment that was.  I knew that God had met me right there at that time, with just a subtle reminder that He knew I was tired, stressed, and wondering how I was going to get through the next few days and weeks with a busy schedule coming up - HE KNEW - and for me that made the entire experience worth it.

I finished the experience, moving from room to room - praying for others, praying for myself, but in it all meeting God in a different way - a way I normally don't experience Him. Through quiet, words, surfaces, and thoughts the Prayer Experience became less about prayer and more about experiencing God - a God who loves each of us and wants the very best for us ... even when He has to literally put things right in front of you!

As I made the drive home that night, I knew that my original picture of freedom made a little more sense and that God was speaking to me through it all.

This post can also be read here on the Northview Blog.

1 comments:

Bill Wolfe said...

The prayer experience was awesome! I felt like there was one present that God wanted me to have in that room. There was one box that kept catching my eye as I scanned back and forth on the boxes. I decided to choose that box.

"Joy. God wants you to experience joy in your life."

I literally started to cry. It was exactly what I needed to hear.