Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Evolution of Soccer

I played soccer growing up ... and for many years played select soccer.  I played for a team about 30 minutes from where I grew up - I knew no one else on the team at first, but soon developed friendships.  We practiced a lot and practiced hard.  Basically, select soccer meant that you were just more devoted and you probably had a better chance of making the high school team.  For me, I never made the high school team in soccer - a knee injury just before high school ended that, but the time I had spent playing select soccer taught me a lot and was a great experience.  I moved on to softball - playing in high school - and really haven't been around the game of soccer in about ten years.

I just got back from a soccer tournament - and I really can't believe how much things have changed!  The game is still played with a round ball and you must use your feet, but the differences seem to be in the preparation for the games.  Teams now have paid coaches ... even at 8 and 9 years old - no longer does the parent who knows a little more than the rest coach the team and some kids even attend private instruction.  Teams have coaches and trainers, some even have academies that the players attend together like a school.

I'm really still processing the changes in the sport ... and kind of wondering if the fun of it has been lost in the attempt to be the best.  As you ponder that ... enjoy the pictures from this past weekend!

0 comments: