Tuesday, May 19, 2009

IMA - A Local Treasure

Personally, I'm not a HUGE fan of art or art museums, but there's just something about the IMA that keeps me coming back.  First of all - it's free ... and it's beautiful.  There are acres and acres of gardens and walking trails to explore on a wonderful day.  And during those times when the weather isn't so wonderful - there's tons of stuff to explore on the inside too.  IMA provides not only a look into some fine art pieces, but more intriguing to me is its look at culture around the world.  My favorite gallery is the African Gallery - filled with ceremonial dresses, wood carvings, jewelry, and tools from all over Africa, it is a beautiful picture of the tribal way of life there.  Another plus for IMA is that they let you take your camera in and photograph anything, except for the 3rd floor ... but don't try to take your camera bag in - as I found out they really frown on that!

Here are some pictures I took on a recent visit to IMA ... hope you get a chance to check it out!

0 comments: