Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Perspective

I've played softball for 21 years now ... wow 21 years - that's a long time!  I'm not as old as that number makes me sound ... I started playing when I was 4 in a ragball league near my hometown in Ohio and fell in love with the game that I continue to play today!

During last Sunday's game I saw a great reminder about perspective.  

It was the 5th inning, my team was up to bat, and we were leading the game.  With one more run we would run-rule the other team and win the game.  I was on third base ... basically the "winning" run.  The guy coaching 3rd base and I had just talked about how if I scored the game would be over.  He was next up to bat and hit a long line drive into the outfield, which allowed me to score.

No one realized though, except for the two of us, that the game was over once I crossed homeplate.  As the player on my team neared third base a throw from the other team nearly hit him, so he reached out and caught the ball ... knowing that the game was already over.  

The reaction of both my team and the other team really caught me off guard, because I thought they all knew what I knew ... that the game had already ended.  But, they didn't have any idea and quickly became upset and frustrated that he had caught the ball.

This made me think about myself and how upset and frustrated I get when things don't go the way I thought they would.  You see, God has quite a different perspective than we do.  He knows the things we don't.  We get frustrated and upset with things in life, while God has all the information.  Trust in Him and know that from His perspective it all makes sense ... even though it might not from our perspective!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
      do not depend on your own understanding.

Proverbs 3:5




0 comments: