Monday, August 24, 2009

Parke County

Covered bridges have always fascinated me.  So, a few days ago I just had that "I need to get away from the big city" feeling and had the day off ... so I took off 1.5 hours west to Parke County.  After finding a small visitor center in Rockville, I got a map and began my adventure.  My first attempt was not successful as I made a wrong turn, but after starting again I managed to find some covered bridges.  The route I took should have had 9 bridges, but it took me awhile to realize that they all weren't right on the path and that you kind of had to go exploring to find them!  So, by that time I had missed 4 of the 9 bridges on the route, but found the other 5.  Of course I had my camera along and here are a few of the pics I took during my adventure...


This bridge is in Mansfield, Indiana - its literally a ghost town.  There's no one there ... just TONS of vendor rows.  It's the town that the Covered Bridge Festival is held in each year ... attracting 1-2 million people to this ghost town! (which randomly includes a ski lift in the cornfields of Indiana!!!)


This bridge is along a gravel road in the middle of fields and crosses a small creek.  You can still drive over this bridge!


Nett Bridge is between Rockville and Bridgeton.  It's right along Bridgeton Road and has a beautiful view of the Indiana fields.

0 comments: