Thursday, February 18, 2010

Observations on Curling ... and Life

Curling ... I can't even give you a definition or a single rule. In my mind it is something played on ice that involves human beings, a large rock, and some brooms. Yet, it intrigues me. I found myself sitting in front of the television for several hours this past week engulfed in Curling and as I sat there pondering what on earth they were doing with this large rock ... I began to ponder the things of life.

You see, I realized that curling doesn't make sense to me for one simple reason ... there's no celebration. Hours passed ... no one smiled, no one jumped up and down, horns didn't sound and lights didn't flash. I don't understand the rules of hockey either, but I do know that when they jump up and down and hug each other it is a good thing ... and over the years I've correlated that response to the fact that the little black puck is always inside the little net. Same thing with football ... when the ball lands at the end of the field in a players arms and they jump up and down ... well it must be good!

There has been no moment in Curling yet where I have watched a reaction and said ... something good just happened ... and it has left me utterly confused and unable to figure out the sport of curling.

Yet, as I watched it, I realized that for this same reason we need to celebrate the good things in life. We need to celebrate when a child makes a good choice, another year that passes, the time with friends ... for it is our celebrations that help us and others to identify what is good in our lives.

So, what are you going to celebrate today?

0 comments: