Monday, February 22, 2010

Thoughts on Puke...

"help massive vomit"

Those are the exact words that came to my phone less than five minutes after sitting down in service last Saturday night! After leaving service (yes ... the only seat I could find was near the front!) I got back to the room where it had happened and well, to spare you the details I had to ask which child was sick since there were three kids covered in it.

But, here's the deal ... this was the fourth weekend in a row that I've had a situation like this! It's been a rough winter with many many cases of the stomach flu (thankfully, I haven't had it yet!) And to be honest I've gone from not able to handle it to not having a problem with cleaning it up in four weeks.

In the midst of the past few weeks I read this blog post about puke - you too can read it here! It really got me thinking about what would happen if we responded to sin the same way our body responds to being ill. When we're physically ill our body attempts to rid itself of the illness in whatever way possible. But, when we're spiritually ill we make little attempt to rid ourself of the sin.

What would your life look like if you "puked" your sin and just got rid of it?

Not that I want to puke every time I sin, I do want to react to it as if I did puke ... basically I'm saying that when I sin I want it to be a big enough deal to me that I change ... I change what I'm doing, who I'm around - whatever circumstances led me into a situation where I sinned.




1 comments:

Bill Wolfe said...

Great post Shanna. I love the visual I get in my mind when thinking about puking up my sin. What a mess I'd make!

By the way, really glad Caleb didn't decide to give you a big hug when we saw you Saturday night after "the incident". Sorry you didn't get to enjoy the service!