Saturday, December 12, 2009

Thinking Literally

We all know little kids think literally. Its hard to use any amount of sarcasm with them because they think its fact. They're still learning about the world around them and don't pick up on the extra things we constantly add into communication.

Tonight, I was teaching about 20 or so 3, 4, and 5 year olds during our smallest service ... its also our latest service and after very little sleep I was faced with trying to find the right words to say.

The story was simple ... well it is if you've slept the night before ... if you are sleep deprived like I was tonight, you might find yourself questioning whether Joseph was really the name of Mary's husband ... or if somewhere in your sleep-deprived state you might have made that up.

Well, there I was - 20+ preschoolers staring at a HUGE box wondering what might be inside and hardly able to contain their excitement ... when I said the wrong thing...

Me- "Can you help me open this box?"

Preschoolers- (Thinking in their heads ... "YES!!!" "I"M GOING TO TOUCH THE BOX" I"M GOING TO OPEN THE BOX!!!!!!!!!!!!")

And then I was rushed by more than 20 kiddos all hoping that they would be one to actually pull the lid off the box.

Immediately realizing my mistake of wording I quickly had them all return to their seats ... and with much dissapointment I asked the question that my mind had said, but that hadn't come out of my mouth correctly...

"Can you help me count to 3 so that I can open the box?"

And so there you have it ... another evening of randomness and fun ... and my near mauling by 20+ kiddos!

0 comments: