Sunday, September 27, 2009

RESET - Week 2

Jesus is UNFAIR ... whoa ... have you ever really thought about that???

I learned that lesson in a very tangible way during college. In fact without the lesson a professor gave me I might still be walking around thinking that life is suppose to be fair ... BUT ... it's not, God didn't create it that way ... WE made it that way! God made a JUST world, not a FAIR world. We're the ones that wrote "all men are created equal" in the Declaration of Independence. Somewhere along the road though I think we began to think those words came from the Bible, but you just won't find them there.

As I worked through the RESET materials this past week and during the weekend I was taken back several years (ok ... so maybe just a few, I haven't been out of college that long!). One morning, I received a paper back from one of my professors. It was a paper that she had said we could do together ... not copying each other's work, but discussing it. Basically, we could all have the same "points" just not the same words. I worked with a group of girls I was close friends with and we all turned in our papers. When I received my paper back I was shocked to see a "C" even though others I worked with had an "A".

I'll never forget my professor's words that morning as I left the classroom. She stopped me and said, "I know you're not happy, but this is justice, you could have done better. We serve a just God, not a fair one." It was a lesson I needed to learn ... and she knew I needed to learn it. I had basically done as good as the other girls could do ... but not as good as I could do. In reality, it wasn't "fair" - we had all worked together, but it was "just".

That's a lesson that I've never forgotten. God is just - He gives each of us exactly what we need. If He were fair, we would all get the same thing - but not all of us can handle the same things. That day, my professor gave me exactly what I needed - it wasn't fair. But God never said life was going to be fair.



0 comments: