Friday, September 4, 2009

Stereotypes

Do you ever find yourself stereotyping someone because of where they live or what they do?  I find that sometimes it's easy to do ... it's kind of human nature ... to always be competing with and sizing up others.  I started really thinking about this a few days ago while I was walking through our new building.  

We're within months of opening a new Worship Center ... and it's starting to get exciting as we await it's opening.  Well, a few days ago the excitement got to a couple of us and we decided to go over to the construction site ... yes that would be the one we've been told to stay away from :-)  But, I mean ... it's so cool to see it before its done and the curiosity had us.  So off we trekked to the new building, finding the trailers and connecting with one of the foremen.  He was the head electrician on the project.

After finding a few hardhats he took us into the building ... and began to tell us a wealth of knowledge that I had no idea went into building projects!  This got me thinking about how many times I hear stereotypes about people who work in construction, but stop and think about all that goes into their job and how important it is.  It's not easy work ... AND ... you have to know your stuff!  Tony, began explaining to us all the different parts of the building and how the building has to go up in "layers" - one thing at a time - otherwise you can get ahead of yourself and have to undo work that has been done.

The planning and knowledge that had gone into this project by this one man was simply amazing ... and I learned much more about electricity and wires than I ever knew before!

So, thanks to all of you who serve in the field of construction ... your job is incredibly important!

0 comments: