Thursday, October 22, 2009

Jim Abbott

Find something you love,
and go after it, with all of your heart
- Jim Abbott

Do you know who Jim Abbott is? I fell in love with his story of overcoming the odds when I was a young child. Jim Abbott was a pitcher in the major leagues who only had one hand. He was told so many times that he couldn't follow his dreams and that he wouldn't be able to play baseball.

Looking back on my childhood I can see how my story was much like his. I heard the statistics over and over again that I wasn't going to amount to much because my parents were divorced, that I'd end up in the same situation, that I wouldn't finish high school or go to college ... but through stories like this of determination I set my mind to overcoming the statistics and not becoming one of them.

Who inspired you as a child? Who's story can you relate to that helped you be who you are today? Who are your creating a story for?

0 comments: